Thursday, January 5, 2012

# 22, 23, & 24 - Explaining the U2 obsession

Ever since 1994 and specifically the ZooTV Live from Sydney concert, I have been a massive U2 fan.
It all started with a radio/TV simulcast of that concert and I was hooked. I hadn't seen anything like it before and Bono and his multiple alter egos were mesmerising. One of the final songs that was played was Love Is Blindness and I was in utter love and devotion.

I played that taped concert on my Walkman so many times that the cassette broke.




 
Fast forward to first year university. U2 were about to tour Australia and I was desperate for tickets. I was out with friends at the infamous UniBar and I met a boy who was also a big a fan of U2 and had a spare ticket to the concert. Perfect.

I told him I was a fan and needed a ticket and he promptly kissed me on the hand and said 'Where have you been all my life?'

It was a memorable introduction.

He did give me that ticket and this year we will have been together for 15 years (married 5 of those years).

We have seen many more U2 concerts together.
We have lined up very early in the morning the day of a concert, just so we can get close to the the front. We also attended a friend's wedding in London and we some how managed to tack a U2 concert in Greece at the end of the holiday - it was the perfect excuse to travel to see Santorini and the Island of Naxos.

Me at the U2360 concert in Athens, September 2010 [image by Zahara Dessert]
U2 play a special part in our lives. So Numbers 22-24 are things I would LOVE to somehow tick off.
I now need to work on a plan.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. Comments are very much appreciated!